Monday, July 18, 2011

A camping we will go...

For several months the boys have been asking to go camping. Seeing that the last time we went to a cabin, in the woods, with one of Kevin's co-workers, we decided that we were both not really campers or wilderness people! But that did not stop the boys from asking to go camping. As a surprise Saturday morning they woke up to an invitation to go camping..in our backyard. They were both so excited. I planned for us to roast marshmallows, hot dogs and s'mores. play some games, do a craft, and look for fireflies. Well, Saturday just happened to be extra steamy. I guess I should have checked the weather forecast. Whoops! Oh well, they kids did not seem to mind the heat. We went on as planned, playing a slingshot game, going on a nature hunt, and roasting over the fire. But just look at poor sweaty Rylan coloring. Not exactly as I had planned, but we went ahead with it. Thankfully, I made some treats to make the heat just a little more bearable. As soon as the sun set we were searching for fireflies! We caught two but as we were placing them in the jars, they both flew away! Would you know, it was melt down time!! It was late and combined with Mommy accidentally letting the fireflies out, it was time for bed! Surprisingly, they both fell asleep within seconds. They were exhausted! This morning they were all smiles and asked to do it again. Hmm, I think we are going to have to wait for the temperatures to cool down a bit. I think I was sticky all night long!
Even though, the weather was extra steamy and muggy, and I was such a bad Mommy for letting the fireflies go, which by the way, I plan to catch some this week so I am back in every ones good graces, our first camping experience was not too bad. Now do not get me wrong, we are still not what I could call "wilderness people" and I do not plan to pitch a tent in a national park anytime soon, but I think Camp Port, that is in our backyard, may have to return for these little campers sometime soon.

3 comments:

Amy said...

The little knapsack's on sticks are adorable.
And you truly are the master of the breakfast themed tablescapes. I just love how you pull everything all together. So cute!

Lauren Allen said...

you are the cutest family evvvver!!! :)

Kendra said...

Backyard camping is about as close to nature as I would want to get too! Cute, cute idea.