Tuesday, February 21, 2012

It's Mardi Gras Time!

Let the good times roll, or as they say in New Orleans, "Laissez les bons temps rouler!" For the past couple of years we have celebrated Mardi Gras and Fat Tuesday. The first year, we made cookies with purple, green and yellow sprinkles, played Mardi Gras music and I gave the boys beads that we had leftover from a party. They thought this little celebration was the best day ever. So ever since that year,  I try to do something a little different to celebrate.  And each year, I try to explain the meaning behind Mardi Gras and why we celebrate. For example, this year I tried to explain the the colors, Purple stands for Justice, Green stands for Faith, and Yellow/Gold stands for Power. An even more likely explanation for Mardi Gras colors comes from the history of the day as preceding Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent. These three seasons of Epiphany (Green), Lent (Purple) and Easter (Yellow/Gold). Not sure if the boys understand the meaning yet but one thing is for sure, they do look forward to this celebration every year even if it is just for the beads, masks, and coins.

As usual, the boys were surprised this morning with lots beads,


 masks,


coins,


and yes, King Cake.


This was my first attempt of making our own King Cake this year and surprisingly, they loved it!


Fat Tuesday is all about indulgence and these two enjoyed it all.


We danced around to the Mardi Gras Mambo, Holden and Rylan both pretended to throw beads, and they both enjoyed wearing all the different masks!


This is probably the funniest picture, of the day...me!  I joined in on the fun too.  (This picture is courtesy of Holden.   He loves taking pictures of me being silly)


Just when I thought our day was complete, Holden said to me, "You know last year you let us make our own masks with feathers. How come we did not get to this year?" This little guy remembers everything! So I am sure you can guess what we did this afternoon? You guessed it, made mask!


Happy Mardi Gras!

No comments: