Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Volcano Eggs & A Glow in the Dark Egg Hunt

Can you believe Easter is this Sunday!  Neither can I!  I keep thinking where on earth has the time gone?!

Even though our week is extremely busy, we are making time for some Easter fun.  Today the boys and I made Volcano Eggs.  Doesn't it just sound fun and such a boy thing to do?  I found this idea on Pinterest (wherelse) and just knew the boys would love this.  What you do is boil your eggs as if you were going to dye them and let them cool.  Once they are cool you mix food coloring, baking soda and a little bit of water to make a paint paste mixture.


Holden and Rylan made their own colors, if you will notice I think there are three orange mixtures.  After the paint colors are made, you are free to paint the eggs.  Both boys made sure every single color went on each egg!


 So now here is where the "volcano" part of the eggs comes in play, you place the painted egg in a bowl and then add vinegar. 


eggs bubble up and the colors all blend together like tie dye!  As you can imagine, the boys LOVED this process!  Seriously, I think they could have done this all day.  They were having such fun creating different egg color combinations.  Here is the final product! 


Pretty neat right!  I love all the bright colors.  We will defiantly do these again next year, thanks to Pinterest!

As if we did not have a blast making volcano eggs I had one more surprise for the boys after dinner.  A Glow-in-the Dark Easter Egg Hunt!  Again, I wish I could take credit for this but it was another great Pinterest idea.  And what a fun one! 

I made the boys stay upstairs while I hid the eggs in the basement.  Once I called them down to hunt for the eggs, they were totally surprised when they saw them glowing! 


Oh my, I wish you could have heard them!  They were screaming with excitement! 


I think we will be having a Glow-in-the-dark Easter hunt every night this week if the boys have their way.

1 comment:

The Gibson Family said...

Love those glow in the dark eggs!! So fun ;)