Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Summer begins with Strawberry Picking

One of our favorite activities to do as a family, is to visit farms that allow  you to U-Pick.  It could be apples, pumpkins, blueberries (which I still have not found a great place here yet), raspberries, blackberries, and oh yes, and strawberries.  If they allow you to pick your own, we are there.  There is just something about picking your own food, it somehow just seems to taste much better than it does from a store.

Saturday morning, we set off to one of my favorite farms for U-pick, Stokes Family Farm. Not only is the land just beautiful but this is a completely owned and operated family farm.  Not to mention, they are some of the nicest people around.  They are always directing us to "the best of the crop".  Which this year was not hard to find.  Just look at these rows and rows of strawberries.


Holden loves to find the best ones or as he likes to call them, "a winner." 


While Rylan on the other hand will pick for a bit and then decides he needs to start tasting them!


Look at these beauties!


We did not pick as much as we did last year with 16 pounds, but we did pick 10 pounds. 


After we left Stokes Farm, I told Kevin I wanted to go up the road to pick asparagus.  We had planned to stop last year but they were closed so I knew I wanted to stop Saturday.  When we came up to the farm it really did not look like much from the road so Kevin somehow talked me into letting him take us to some place he read about.  Well, I knew I should not have listened to him!  The place he took us too was awful!!!  So I told him to take us back to where I planned to go in the first place.  As I always tell him, "looks are deceiving." 


Once we pulled up to Brausch's Asparagus Farm the sweetest little old man {Mr. Brausch} met us and explained about how to pick asparagus.  Since this was my first time picking asparagus, I really did not know what to expect. 


Well, within 10 minutes I already had 2 pounds of fresh asparagus. 


Totally worth more than the $4.00 we spent!  Just look at how fresh and beautiful they look. 


Once again, I like to point out that looks are deceiving.  This farm was a gem of a find!  Especially after our farm fresh dinner we had Saturday night. 


Yummy!  There is just something about fram fresh produce and summer time, they just go hand and hand.

No comments: