Wednesday, July 18, 2012

How does your garden grow?

After our visit to Tennessee and seeing my granddaddy's garden, I finally convinced Kevin to make me a box garden.  I wanted to try to grow something besides our usual herbs.  Kevin, the boys and I all helped construct this square foot garden.  


As you can see from the hard hats, they were all business.  Kevin and I both decided this was the perfect opportunity for the boys to be responsible for something.  So we let them help with choosing just what we should plant.  We planted, basil, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, tomatoes, squash, eggplant, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, cantaloupe, and green beans.  Quiet the array of vegetables.  Holden even made the plant markers for the garden.  


To add to the boys responsibilities, they are responsible for watering the garden. 
 

I think this has really helped them feel that they are accountable if the garden does not produce.  So here is the first picture of our family garden 


and now fast forward several weeks and here is our garden today...


we have some peppers growing and our tomatoes are almost ripe.  


So far, everything looks great!  Just one small casualty with the cilantro but everything else is blooming away.  I did however have to add wire cones for the tomatoes, squash and cantaloupe today so the vines would not take over to entire garden.  Stay tuned, I am sure we will have a small "harvest" soon.

1 comment:

Amy said...

It looks GREAT, especially considering the drought I know the midwest is currently experiencing.
Oh, and don't worry about the cilantro. From my experience it does not do well in extreme heat and sun. I typically only get a good yield with that herb in the fall and spring (& mild winters down here too).