Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Girls Weekend in New York

A couple of months ago my cousin Clay sent out an email out asking us to "save the date" for his upcoming wedding in New York.  Kevin and I looked at flights and tried to figure out how both of us could go.  In the end, logistically we could not get it work.  We did not have anyone to watch the kids and the flights from Cincinnati to New York were not exactly the best of times.  We both decided it would be best if I just went alone, which worked out great since my sister decided to go alone too.  Hence, the weekend ended up being a girls weekend with my sister, my nieces, and myself.

As soon as we got in New York Thursday afternoon, we hit the ground running, literally.  First stop was for a late lunch in Greenwich Village and a little bit of shopping.


Soon after we got back on the subway and headed to the Upper East Side for one of my requested stops, Rosie Pope.  If you are familiar with the Bravo TV show "Pregnant in Heels"  then you are familiar with Rosie Pope.  She has the cutest maternity clothes and I just had to visit her store for a couple of goodies for myself.


  Yes, I know this is a goofy picture but it is hard find cute maternity clothes.

Next, we made our way over to Central Park to enjoy the views and walk around.


Are you getting the sense that we did a lot of walking, well, this is just the beginning!  From Central Park we walked about 30 blocks to the amazing Dylan's Candy Bar.


This is Ralph Lauren's daughter Dylan's store and talk about a candy lovers dream!  There are three floors for any and every kind of candy you can think of.  I know Holden and Rylan would have been in heaven!


Don't worry I brought back some yummy treats for them.  Finally after several miles of walking we decided to have a little treat ourselves at the famous Serendipity.


We of course had to have the Frozen Hot Chocolate and the Coward size Banana Split to share.


Not sure if it was the fact that we were starving or that these truly were amazing desserts either way, they hit the spot after a hot and long day.

These are some of the night lights on the way back to the hotel.


Friday was another busy day.  We started at the 9/11 Memorial.



 Last time I was in New York, it was shortly after 9/11 so I had not seen the new memorial.  What a sight.



We viewed both memorials and walked past Ladder 10.


I can still remember where I was all those years ago.  Life changes but the memory always remains.


We spent the remainder of the day shopping.


Later that evening we attended Rehearsal dinner for Clay and Joyce at Two8Two.


It was fun to meet Joyce's family and see some of our family who traveled to be there too to celebrate the happy couple.


It was still early after the Rehearsal dinner so we walked the area and took in the sights at night.


Saturday was another busy morning of exploring and shopping.  First we stopped at the new High Line Park located in the Meat Packing District.  This park is located on an old railroad track.  They used old railroad beams to make chairs, lounges, and gardens.


Then along the tracks, there were free standing coffee shops, restaurants and stands.  This was so neat!  I decided this was my favorite area in New York.

Here are some other sights we saw on Saturday before the big wedding.

No comments: