Sunday, February 10, 2013

It's all fun and games


I think the saying goes, "It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt."  So here's a story about that "someone".  Last Sunday, the boys were out playing in the snow, sledding and snowboarding.  Kevin and I were inside watching them when all of a sudden Kevin said to me, and I quote, "Let me go show these boys how it is done."  Famous last words right.  Kevin decided to joined the boys outside and told me to watch him.  Leyton and I sat at the window and watched Kevin snowboard.  He went down the hill the first time and fell.  Then he got back on again and went down that same small hill and fall again but this time he did not get up.  Instead he came crawling inside.  At first I thought he was joking but then he started complaining about his leg and telling me he thought he broke it. I was thinking, "You have got to be kidding me!" Surely he just twisted or bruised it perhaps.  But all night long, he complained about his leg.  Since his ankle did swell, I tried to reassure Kevin that he must have just twisted it.  But you know how men are, they get a paper cut and you would think they were going to bleed to death. So I am sure you can image how much Kevin was complaining about his leg!

After listening to him complain and not to mention hearing him hobble and jump around the house, I convinced him to make an appointment to see a doctor.  Well, would you know it, he fractured his bone! I know you are thinking, the same thing I was thinking...REALLY!  I wish I was joking but I am not.



Now it feels like I have 4 boys to take care of!  I am sure you can guess who is the neediest out of the four.  I can give you a hint, it is not the infant!

When Kevin went to work on Tuesday with his boot and crutches  I asked what he told his co-workers.  He looked at me straight faced and said, "I told them I hurt it snowboarding."  I just laughed because what he failed to tell them is that he was on his kids sled "snowboarding", in the backyard, and on a hill that is less that a 10% incline! I suppose he will learn one day but until then I am having to hear, "Can you get me a crystal light, can you help me with my shoes, can you make my plate...."  and the list goes on and on.  But as I was at church today, I was reminded that you need to have joy in your marriage to make it last. Well, let me tell you, this story of Kevin's snowboarding accident has brought me plenty of laughs and joy from telling it.  However, it is going to be a LONG 2 weeks with this patient!



No comments: