Sunday, December 8, 2013

Leyton's Winter ONEderland


We celebrated Leyton's 1st Birthday last Sunday.  I knew it was going to be hectic coming back from Georgia the day before and with Kevin's travel schedule we opted not to have a big party.  Instead, it was a party with just the five of us.  To be honest, I was actually relieved once we decided to do it this way.  But even though it was just a small family gathering, I still wanted it to be special.  Leyton's birthday month is December, so I thought a Winter Onederland would be the perfect theme.


First the treats...I made snowflake cookies,



gingerbread men,


and mini gingerbread men.


 I found these chocolate peppermint cookies at the grocery store and thought they would be perfect with our theme.


I made birthday hats out of felt and pom-poms.




Along with his one banner too.



Then there was the birthday cake... let me remind you, I am NOT a cake maker!  Always in my mind I think something is going to look so much better than it actually turns out but it is fun to make and thing of ideas so that is why year after year I make the boys cakes.


His name was made with gum paste and I can not take the credit for this, my friend Christa helped show me a couple of weeks ago how to make these.  And she ended up doing most of the work.  I used the mini gingerbread men to make a garland around the cake.


Leyton's smash cake was a smaller version with gingerbread sprinkles.


As much as I thought Leyton would love tearing the wrapping paper, he did not even pay attention to it.  He got some really cute gifts and some great little toys.  I think the ball popper and phone are his favorites.


Now, on to the good stuff, the smash cake.


We sang Happy Birthday and the boys blew out the candles for Leyton.



At first our little guy did not know what to think of the cake but then one he got the hang of it, he really got the hang of it and cake was everywhere!

On the floor, down his shirt, in his hair and in his little mouth.  To say he enjoyed it is probably an understatement.

Even though our celebration was a small family affair, it was perfect for this little sweet guy.


I still can not believe Leyton is a year old!  Such a bittersweet time for me. Knowing that this is our last baby is a bit emotional for me.  I am working on a separate post all about him, my emotions and surviving this past year but for now this is just about celebrating Leyton's One Year Milestone Birthday.  Happy Birthday Lovable Leyton!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

Happy Happy Birthday Leyton. Can't believe I have followed and watched you grow for a year now. And seeing my brother delivered you topped the cake. You have an amazing family and can't wait to see what the next years have in store for you. Thanks mommy for sharing, awesome job on all of the decorations and food.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for your sweet comments! Yes, it is hard to believe it has been a year! It seems just like yesterday I was coming home from the hospital! Time flies when you have kids!