Sunday, January 25, 2015

Crafting with a toddler


When Holden and Rylan were little I had crafts for us to do all the time.  Now with Leyton, I feel like I have not been as good at crafting and activities with him.  Our days quickly get filed with errands, activities, cleaning and so forth.  Now that I am starting to feel a little more settled in the house, I have decided that I will set aside one day each week for us try out a new activity or craft together.  This week I made homemade play dough for us to play with.  If you have never made homemade play dough this is the recipe I have used for years:


1 cup of water
1 cup of flour
1/3 of a cup of salt
2 tablespoons of cream of tarter
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
several drops of food coloring


Bring the water and oil to a boil.  {I have found it best to add the food coloring to the water and oil.}  Add the flour, cream of tarter and salt to the boiling water and stir until a ball forms.


After it cools, you are ready to play.


As you can see Leyton was sooo excited!


I think at first he thought he could eat the play dough but once he got a taste, he decided just to play with it instead.


We rolled the dough into shapes, cut it into shapes and just smooched our hands into the play dough.

 

Leyton was a little apprehensive at first but quickly got the hand of playing.  I think our new craft days are going to be so much fun together.  I am sure we will have some flops here and there but I have some fun things planned in the weeks to come.

No comments: